They are spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you, having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, beguiling unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children. --- 2 Peter 2:13a,14
Lying thrives in a culture such as ours. It is a practice involving persons of all ages -- from the very young who are just getting started in school to those in the sunset years who already have one foot in the grave and the other one is getting to be very shaky!
Lying happens due to a variety of motives:
- to avoid acceptance of the truth and the accountability that goes along with acceptance of the truth
- to avoid taking responsibility for bad decisions made and actions following those decisions
- to assassinate a person's character
- to seek revenge against a person for some alleged "wrong" done by that person
- to increase one's financial holdings
- to gain a prominent and powerful position for oneself
Lying always does immeasurable damage wherever it takes place.
It is strictly prohibited by God as listed in the code of the 10 commandments. The statement is simple, requiring no further explanation: "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." (Exodus 20:16)
One area where the greatest devastation takes place is within that group of persons professing to be Christian in faith and followers of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
We are not as free to be "liberal" in our interpretations of the Scriptures as we would like to think! For instance:
- God has revealed that there was an Adam and there was an Eve -- our first "parents" and through whom the human race had its origin. But there are those (pastors, professors, church leaders, theologians, and laity) who say there never were such persons in existence -- God says He made them. But certain humans lie and say that Adam and Eve never really existed! That's more than a tad of a slap in God's face, wouldn't you say?
- God says the world got so wicked at one point that He destroyed all living things, human and animal, except for those on board an ark. The "spot & blemish" bunch (identified previously) scattered among professing Christians lie and say the event reported as a universal flood judgment never really happened!
- God has revealed that He brought the Israelites out of Egypt and at one point opened up that vast body of water known as the Red Sea, making the crossing possible for them. And then God permitted the waters to return to their natural condition, drowning the Egyptian military in the process as it zealously pursued the Israelites. The "spot & blemish" crowd lies and says it never happened!
- God has explicitly revealed the boundaries of how we humans are to experience our sexuality. That experience is limited to a male and female who have entered into the covenant of marriage. All other types of sexual activity which are mentioned in God's revelation are forbidden and labeled as sin or in some cases, worse than that, as being abominations! But the "spot & blemish" crowd lies and says that some forms of sexual behavior are good, and even preferable -- and worse, they claim that God gives His approval to such so that even in the church which professes to be Christian, just about any kind of sexual shenanigans are acceptable! God has yet to make His response to this updated standard of morality!
- God has revealed that with a love which defies human understanding He gave His Son, Jesus, to be a substitutionary sacrifice for all the sins committed by all the members of the human race. Further, that Jesus is the only way of salvation and entrance into God's Heaven. Christianity, unfortunately, is plagued by the "spot & blemish" crowd which says that there are other ways to get to Heaven through the many other faiths which presently exist in today's world, and we who are Christian should not be so dogmatic upon insisting that Jesus is exclusively the way to salvation and ultimately to Heaven!
- God has said there is a Hell and a lot of people are going to end up in that place. The "spot & blemish" crowd lies and says that there is no Hell! With unregenerate and warped minds they try to reason that God could never be a "God of love" if even one human ended up in Hell!
- God says there is a Devil on the loose along with a host of demons in league with him. The "spot & blemish" crowd lies and says there is no Devil and there are no demons!
- God says there will be a series of devastating judgments visited upon this earth in the future. The "spot & blemish" crowd lies and says there will be no such events because -- now by this time you can guess it -- yes, that's what they say -- "God is a God of love and compassion -- why He would never bring those terrible things associated with judgement upon anyone!"
So what we have at times is a major conflict -- with God saying one thing and the "spot & blemish" crowd within the ranks of Christianity saying the opposite -- God says He did it and they say He didn't, etc!
It comes down to this -- who is to be believed? Always keep in mind that lying does pay off, and if you go along with the lie/s, the future will not be pleasant. God has the last word on that matter, not the "spot & blemish" crowd -----
And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." --- Revelation 21:6-8