Drink water from your own cistern, and running water from your own well. Should your fountains be dispersed abroad, streams of water in the streets? Let them be only your own, and not for strangers with you. Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice with the wife of your youth. As a loving deer and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times; and always be enraptured with her love. For why should you, my son, be enraptured by an immoral woman, and be embraced in the arms of a seductress? --- Proverbs 5:15-20
John Edwards finally “fessed up” – he did disregard his marital vows for a time as he was in the midst of seeking to become the Democratic nominee for president of the United States.
So, what’s all the excitement about – other than the fact that the mass media people enjoy chomping on this subject more than about anything else they bite into! As always, it is the repeat of sharks reacting to a big batch of blood in the water.
Some things to keep in mind while salivating on this matter of John getting more than hand-shake friendly with a female other than his wife:
1. He’s not the first to do a thing like this – the list is by no means short when it comes to politicians playing bedroom games with women other than their mates over years past – unfortunately, a number of them are still living today!
2. There is a strong resistance to making an issue of such a happening when it involves a politician – after all, what he does in private is none of our business, is it? Hey, I’m just quoting what appears to be a rather common held belief in our culture!
3. The standards of morality have changed drastically over the past few decades – what God has to say about human sexuality is not at all significant in this country any longer. One of the main reasons for this being that we humans have come to the point of determining for ourselves what is right and wrong, and that includes our sexual activity.
4. Big names in the entertainment industry have set a powerful example in human relationships and have long since lost the ability to even blush a bit when it comes to the practicing of sexual immorality in brazen fashion, and at times conceiving children while doing so. The publicity they receive in all this is worth a fortune and the influence on our young folk is impossible to measure. We do have an interesting statistic in connection with all this which was released not so long ago – one out of every four teen-aged girls has at least one STD (sexually transmitted disease) and some have more than one! Sleep on that one tonight!
5. Churches have begun to capitulate to the pressure to back off from hard line positions on the issue of human sexuality. The battle is especially intense in the area of sodomy and lesbianism. So if we soften up regarding that area, why not include adultery, incest, fornication, child molestation and sex with animals as well?
Getting all caught up in a frenzy over an aspiring politician and his sex life? Forget it – this is the United States in the 21st Century – sex is fun with anyone (or more than one anyone at the same time), anywhere and at any time, aren’t you aware?
Or do you happen to be one of that few who are labeled religious fanatics and who are best described as having very low angle foreheads with little beady eyes located too close together and fire is spewing forth from the mouth – you know, that small minority which still insists that God has established clear boundaries on human sexuality and these apply to all persons, including politicians!
Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge. --- Hebrews 13:4