Thursday, March 11, 2010

Praying for the President, the Congress, and the Nation!



And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. Neither have we heeded Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings and our princes, to our fathers and all the people of the land..." --- Daniel 9:4-6


Heavenly Father, you are the living God -- there is no other! You have been pleased to reveal yourself through all that you have created, through your inspired Word, and by becoming human in the Person of your Son, Jesus Christ. It is through Him that I come to you in all my unworthiness. I give thanks for your abundance of mercies you have granted to me over the years I have been privileged to live in this world. I also give thanks for the many times you have heard and answered prayer as I called upon you in my times of need.

I ask for your forgiveness for my offenses against you in thoughts, desires, words spoken and deeds done. I also ask your forgiveness for my failure to act when I should have done so as well as failure to speak in witness to your revealed truth when I should have spoken.

I ask that you would work such chastising works as are necessary to make the president, the appointed members of his administration, and the members of the Congress fully aware that you are God and you hold all of us accountable for our actions day by day. The president has given his sanction to the mass destruction of unborn children for whom you have a high and holy purpose. Those in his administration as well as many in the Congress give their approval to this ongoing destruction of thousands every week.

You know all things -- from you nothing can be hidden. You know the extent of the dishonesty, the greed and the bribery that has corrupted those who have been elected to govern this republic. May every dishonest, unethical, and immoral act be brought to light that all will know the truth concerning these elected officials. Bring reproach upon their heads and defeat their attempts to hide questional acts in their conduct. Rebuke the president and his advisors whenever they attempt to take a course of action that is not within your holy will and purpose. Bring deep conviction and distress upon them when they fail to seek your will in the making of decisions and the proposal of all legislation. Bring every effort they make to total defeat when such efforts are not acceptable in your sight.

Raise up a prophet who will come in the spirit of your servants such as John the Baptist or Elijah and who will confront the president face to face with his sins and that of the nation.

For the nation I pray -- we are a nation deserving of the ourpouring of your wrath in judgment for our many abominations and transgressions of which we are guilty. The spirit of our nation is such that we are not grieved that unborn children are brutally mutilated and murdered before birth. We show no remorse that we have taken unto ourselves numerous idols, that we have turned the holy day of worship into a day of pleasure and spectator sporting events, and that we are being consumed in our pandemic immorality and have rejected your standards for expressing the gift of our sexuality.

We teach our young that our origins are found in lower life forms rather than teaching them about you and your mighty creation and that you alone are the source and sustainer of all life.

O God, while we stand deserving of your judgment, have mercy, arise and bring forth such calamities as you see fit in your infinite power and wisdom upon this whole nation that people in every place -- within the church as well as outside the church will be moved and stirred by the working of your Holy Spirit -- that there will be a desire to seek you in a true spirit of repentance and to confess that as a nation we have failed to serve and honor you as the living God Who is worthy of our love, our praise and our loyaty every day that we live.

Thank you that in a love that defies human understanding, you gave your Son, Jesus, for the sins of the entire human race. It is in His Name that I pray, asking for mercy for myself and my loved ones, and that you would for a time work your chastising works throughout this nation and to confront our government leaders and our church leaders with the need to repent of all of our sins, personally and corporately. In the Name of Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

"...if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." --- 2 Chronicles 7:14