"I brought you into a bountiful country, to eat its fruit and its goodness. But when you entered, you defiled My land and made My heritage an abomination. The priests did not say, 'Where is the LORD?' And those who handle the law did not know Me; the rulers also transgressed against Me; the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit." --- Jeremiah 2:7,8
There was a time in this republic when a majority of persons had exposure to the holy Scriptures and the Lord's Prayer. All students as they attended public schools for an average of 12 years engaged in the spiritual exercise of beginning the day with some portion of Bible reading followed by a prayer which began, "Our Father, Who art in heaven..."
Major discipline problems during those years consisted of such things as chewing gum in class, running in the hallways, whispering in class, shooting rubber bands and/or spit balls, etc. You know, the kinds of things which so disrupt school operations that the school has to cease operations for 3 or 4 days until the "crisis" is resolved!
Then came what has to be a first and foremost imbecile quality decision by the United States Supreme Court in which the reading of Scripture and prayer were ruled to be illegal! A few years later the nation's highest court sank to an even lower level than that of an imbecile by ruling that it is a "constitutional right" to mutilate and murder unborn children in the womb!
So then, what great benefits has the republic reaped as a consequence of the actions of 9 black robed people who chose to completely abandon all common sense and wisdom by declaring the public educational system totally off limits to the mighty Creator of this universe? And further, that in thousands of cases each week His work of forming human beings in the womb must be terminated?
Here is how it is:
- We are raising a large segment of our population to be heathen -- even unchurched students used to be exposed to a few minutes of Bible revelation and prayer to God but that has been no longer the case for decades! These in turn passed on their heathen unbelieving ways to their children and these children did likewise -- heathenism is very easy to pass on to the young!
- Along with the initial 2 rulings on the part of the Supreme Court which have pushed us down the road to sure and certain disaster, in the name of "freedom of speech and expression" our young began to be exposed to increased vulgarity, sexual immorality and graphic violence through many avenues. High profile individuals idolized by the young brazenly displayed their immoral lifestyles. Entertainment sunk to new lows with gutter level language, increased violence and sexually explicit images which leave absolutely nothing to the imagination -- after all, if you see two naked people in bed together, what is there to imagine?
- And the young have been encouraged in various ways to indulge in use of tobacco, alcohol and drugs. "Parties" will feature the foregoing plus engaging in a variety of sexual activities. One mother was extremely upset when informed by school officials that her junior high daughter "competed" with another girl on the school bus as to which could give oral sex to the most boys before arriving at school! A relative of mine is a junior high principal and told me of a recent incident in his school -- some 8th graders were caught smoking pot in one of their classes! This, of course, all carries over into the college and university level in greater intensity.
- Problems in the public school system have escalated somewhat since the days of dealing with chewing gum, spitballs, etc. Now it's a matter of assaults -- students against other students and students against teachers -- stabbings and shootings -- the necessity of having police on the premises to try to keep order in a number of school systems!
- And don't forget -- things are by no means a rosy paradise at the college and university level -- you know, those campuses are supposed to be "gun free" zones, but we have had some very tragic incidents on a few in recent times -- ah, times of progress and advancement -- it is great, but we haven't arrived have we?
Yes indeed -- since we told God He is no longer welcome in public schools and that we have the right to terminate His work of forming human beings any time we want to, we've really made progress, have we not? Or is it more proper to say that we have regressed to lower levels of depravity than any society claiming to be civilized would ever want to admit?
What's the point? Simply this -- no one can say that we have made great advances ethically, morally and spiritually since those 2 Supreme Court decisions in particular -- the dates of those decisions hold more than equal weight with the one F.D.R. said would live in infamy -- December 7, 1941!
Yes, some of us do remember back to a time when.... a time much superior in ways that count most as compared to how it is now!
"Therefore I will yet bring charges against you," says the LORD, "And against your children's children I will bring charges.... Has a nation changed its gods, which are not gods? But My people have changed their Glory for what does not profit. Be astonished, O heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid; be very desolate," says the LORD. "For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns; broken cisterns that can hold no water." --- Jeremiah 2:9,11-13