Behold, the LORD makes the earth empty and makes it waste, distorts its surface and scatters abroad its inhabitants...... The earth mourns and fades away, the world languishes and fades away; the haughty people of the earth languish. The earth is also defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, Broken the everlasting covenant....... The earth is violently broken, the earth is split open, the earth is shaken exceedingly. The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall totter like a hut; its transgression shall be heavy upon it, and it will fall, and not rise again. It shall come to pass in that day that the LORD will punish on high the host of exalted ones, and on the earth the kings of the earth. --- Isaiah 24:1,4,5,19-21
Not a pleasant subject to approach under any circumstance for a number of reasons -- this thing of calamities and what are termed "natural disasters" taking place just about everywhere throughout the world.
While it is quite acceptable for the news media people to report the events and provide details as to physical damage, property loss, human injuries and number of lives lost, it is a general rule of thumb that you do not bring God into the picture!
After all, in the United States has it not been the practice in the past number of decades that certain boundary lines have been drawn by court edict with much of the population nodding empty heads in agreement that it should be so -- God is not allowed to enter into many areas of human activity -- certain properties are off limits! His Name is not so much as to be mentioned -- check out a number of graduation exercises at this time of year and note how "rules" have been spelled out in regard to high school graduates making any reference to God in their speeches!
But, alas, again I digress a bit -- a few of us believe on the basis of a totally reliable volume of information which Almighty God has made available that He does interact with His creation and with humans whether they like it or not and whether they are willing to accept it or not!
That revelation coming forth from the Creator and Sustainer of this mighty universe of which we are a very small part indicates that there is a climax to human history as we are presently experiencing it.
The basic progression is this:
1. Increased population accompanied by increased evil activity -- simple logic - the more sinners you have rebelling against God, the more evil you will have demonstrated!
2. Increased chaos and calamities among the nations of the world -- since about all the governing powers of the nations of the earth are in an unregenerate state, it follows that there will be tensions and conflicts constantly -- treaties and agreements will often be broken without a second thought.
3. Since the majority of the human population does not know God and is not the least bit interested in becoming acquainted with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ, then selfishness and greed will kick in and dominate -- it makes for a bad scene everywhere you go!
4. And since God in a sense gives humans all the rope they want for a while, it is simply a matter of time until the human race "hangs itself!" The law of sowing and reaping is always in effect, whether recognized or not. And it applies to individuals and to nations at the collective level!
5. It is a fact that God does chastise people and nations -- if chastisement does not produce the desired results, then He brings forth judgment! And He does bring forth various calamities and takes responsibility for it. But it seems where such information is revealed in His Word, then we respond by taking our censor's scissors and cutting out such statements with the attitude, "That has absolutely nothing to do with us today and does not apply!"
The foremost Authority on human activity and the destiny of all humans has spoken in regard to the home stretch of human history. Jesus indicated that increased chaos will be prominent as we enter into what are referred to as the "latter days" or the "end times." If you want the details just go to Matthew 24, Luke 21 and Mark 13. There is also a statement made by Jesus in Luke 17 in which He tells us that humanity will regress to conditions as they existed in the days of Noah before the judgment of the flood and the times of Lot when he lived in the city of Sodom!
Now here's the real shocker -- one would think that within the circle of those professing to be Christian there would be quite a bit of agreement on this subject, but if there is anything that causes high intensity conflict it is the subject of Jesus' return to earth and what events will precede His return to earth! Perhaps a comparable conflict would be the one over the issue of sodomy and lesbianism and the acceptance of these lifestyles within the ranks of those professing to be Christian.
Is Jesus going to return to earth? You will receive a wide variety of answers on that, ranging from yes, to maybe, to absolutely not! Do these chaotic events have any meaning to us? See the preceding list of possible responses.
But for a few -- what is happening throughout the world does have meaning in light of God's special revelation and reminds the remnant that we have to live in these days as short range pessimists with a long range optimism!
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. --- 1 John 3:1-3