"Oprah Winfrey has more credibility than anyone else in the country!" --- Statement by one of the staff of "talking heads" belonging to the Fox News network on Sunday evening, March 2, 2008
The setting: a discussion hosted by a couple of Fox News staff people and an audience of persons who were responding to and/or commenting on the Election 2008 fiasco. They also had access to electronic dials that could indicate the degree of positive and negative responses to campaign clips and other nonsense as mentioned by the hosts.
During the course of this activity a clip of Oprah Winfrey was shown in which she went on public record endorsing Barack Obama for president of our republic. As she expounded on this matter, cheers and yells erupted that would have drowned out the yelling and screaming of New York Giants fans when their team beat the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl a few weeks back.
That Oprah holds the status of "deity" in the minds of a huge number of people cannot be denied.
Her accomplishments are many such as:
- long time and highly successful TV talk show hostess!
- a gigantic following of all ages that regards every word coming out of her mouth as absolute gospel truth!
- accumulation of wealth that places her in the billionaire class!
- numerous works of charity and do good projects that have helped others in some area of need!
- the planned launching of OWN in 2009 -- her own cable network known as Oprah Winfrey Network -- does this come as any real surprise?
- a political power house and great asset to whomever she supports in a run for public office -- in 2008 the privileged character is Barack Obama -- as a result, a large number of people won't do much serious thinking about the election -- they will vote for B.O. simply because Oprah has placed her "imprimatur" on this person who aspires to be our next president and has said they should -- you don't have to think, Oprah will do all that for you!
But in the area that is most critical -- the top priority matter each person absolutely has to address when it comes to what life is all about and how we influence others -- like Casey at the bat, mighty Oprah has struck out!
In what way has her far reaching fame and influence moved people to repent of personal and corporate sin -- and following that experience, to deliberately seek the will of Almighty God?
Devotees will spastically object and say that she is not an evangelist! Oh, but in reality she is -- recent proof would be the high profile promotion of a book titled, "A New Earth," authored by one, Eckhart Tolle. An excerpt from the stated purpose of the book says,
"In his insightful look into humanity's ego-based thinking, Eckhart Tolle provides practical teachings for waking up to a new, enlightened mind-set. If you're seeking a more loving self and a more loving planet, A New Earth has the tools to begin your transformation..."
This is a strange blend of all kinds of "religous" stuff, but definitely not Christian. Jesus is mentioned but in no significant way and certainly not viewed as being God incarnate and ultimately giving His life for all the sins of the human race so that forgiveness and reconciliation with God is possible. Incidentally, Mr. Tolle speaks of a "more loving self" -- now then, take a look at what Jesus says about the "self" in Luke 9:23! You'll find more than a slight disagreement between Mr. Tolle's view (and that of his disciple, Oprah) of self and what Jesus says about it!
An honest and serious examination of the New Testament of the Bible clearly indicates the will of God to involve these elements, no matter what our position in life may happen to be:
- that ALL repent of sin and self-will (Acts 17:29-31; Luke 9:23).
- that ALL believe in Jesus Christ (1 John 3:23).
- that All confess Jesus Christ publicly (Matthew 10:32,33).
- that All seek to impact the world for Jesus Christ (Matthew 5:13-16; 28:18-20).
There are clearly no exceptions to this -- the will of God applies to every person living on this planet, including high profile, wealthy and powerful people such as one by the name of Oprah Winfrey!
And He said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God." --- Luke 16:15