Monday, December 8, 2008

How About a Very Pleasant Interlude?



Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them. And Elijah appeared to them with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. --- Mark 9:2-4

I have a multitude and then some of memories -- good memories -- blessed memories of childhood and growing up in a home with parents who feared and reverenced God -- who believed that Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, is our one and only source of forgiveness, salvation and hope.

Many of those memories are of winter -- many hours were spent out of doors playing in the snow at home and at the one room country school which I attended for 7 years. School lunch hours were spent sled riding -- in those years it seemed that the snow began in November and lasted until mid March at least.

Snow balling was forbidden by our teachers -- I got caught by my 6th Grade teacher violating the rule -- the penalty? I had to write a sentence, "No snow balling on the school ground." on the blackboard, and I had to write that sentence 500 times! After that my hand was so tired I couldn't form a snowball if I had wanted to!

Anyway, another confession at this point in addition to the one just made -- I used to look forward to and enjoy very much the season known as winter. I have changed a bit in my old age in my attitude toward winter, but can still enjoy the scenery and beauty that winter brings, so long as I am inside where it is warm and cozy. On our living room walls we have a number of scenes of winter painted by a very talented artist by the name of Robert Duncan.

Recently a relative sent a link from a web site which presents a series of Duncan's paintings with music. It is most appropriate for this time of year. Two of my favorites which you will see and which we have hanging in our living room are the boy riding the Hampshire hog and the curious Holsteins watching the boy pass by with his sled and dog.

Go to Winters of Long Ago. It will be worth the time to do so. You will be blessed and it will be a pleasant interlude! Please use return feature on your web browser if you wish to return to this place.

Enjoy and be blessed!

PS: When I take my morning 2 mile walk, even in winter, when it is snowing, I am reminded of two things -- each snowflake falling represents a blessing God has bestowed upon me and my family of which we are undeserving -- and, second, though I have been guilty of sinning, I can be forgiven and all defilement removed so that I am "whiter than snow" as mentioned by the prophet Isaiah!

"Come now, and let us reason together," says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

No comments: