Friday, February 23 - Sydney, Australia "Last month's anti-satellite test, China's continued fast paced military buildup are less constructive and are not consistent with China's stated goal of a peaceful rise." -- VP Dick Cheney
Oooooh! Bet the Chinese really got shook on that statement, didn't they? When Dick Cheney speaks, everyone jumps, or do they? And when he goes hunting, everyone looks for a rock to hide behind, do they not?
But what about this Chinese thing? Here's a country that has over 4 times the population of the United States and who knows how much military hardware, including "weapons of mass destruction!" Remember, that song & dance routine we heard back in 2003 as applied to Saddam Hussein & Company -- and how it was absolutely necessary to launch war against Iraq because that country and its leader was such a great threat to world peace? Correct me if I am wrong -- aren't we still messing around a tad in this country called Iraq -- and then there's that other place called Afghanistan, where we supposedly wiped out the Taliban and established peace there quite some time ago -- seems we still have a few difficulties in that country too!
But other than what Cheney just said, not a whole lot is made of the issue of China sitting on tons of weapons -- and certainly both Bush and Cheney have not raised the issue of China's invasion of and takeover of the sovereign nation of Tibet some years ago -- why is no issue made of this in the United Nations -- the president who talks a lot about spreading democracy all over the world is strangely silent about the need for the citizens of Tibet to experience democracy! Go ahead -- do a search on the country of Tibet and see what interesting things come up about what the Chinese have done -- estimates are that at least a million Tibetans lost their lives when China took over the country. Again, correct me if I am wrong -- but when one nation invades another sovereign nation and controls it, isn't that considered very unjust, illegal, unlawful, and such? But there is no protest from the United States.
Rhetoric will simmer down quickly for a number of reasons:
- First, China owns a lot of U.S. debt -- in other words, if they should say, "Pay all that you owe!" The Chinese would be the ones to whom we would have to hand over a real big bunch of bucks!
- Second, we have this thing of a "trade deficit" with China -- we owe a big bunch of bucks on that matter alone because we have gotten much more from them, than they have from us on a yearly basis!
- Third, China is on a construction binge as the nation becomes a growing and powerful economic giant in the world of trade and finance. It is why prices for construction related materials, such as cement have sharply increased in our own nation. A nephew of mine drives a construction truck that hauls 100 tons of material -- tires used to cost $5,000 each and now need to be replaced, but my nephew says the company can't get replacements though they have been ordered for a long time -- why the shortage? China has need for huge numbers of these tires and is getting them!
- Fourth, in hard reality, China doesn't have to bring us to our knees militarily -- if the Chinese did make an aggressive move militarily, what would the U.S. do? We are stretched so thin now we couldn't do anything effective to repel them -- we can't even do a resounding victory thing now in Iraq or Afghanistan as we did at the conclusion of WW II -- the last war in which we had a decisive military victory and the terms for both Germany and Japan were unconditional surrender -- no negotiating! Really, at some temporary hardship to them, all the Chinese would have to do is shut off ALL exports to the United States! Have you looked at labels of items you buy lately -- where were they made?
- Fifth, Chinese at the level of high leadership have been traveling throughout the world negotiating trade deals etc. And are you aware of their influence when it comes to the Panama Canal? Just the tip of the iceberg folks!
No, it is highly doubtful that the Chinese will lose any sleep over remarks made by Dick Cheney or any other representative of the federal government of the United States. Sadly, what our elected representatives fail to perceive is that our relationship with the God in Whom we claim to believe is far from being a positive and acceptable one in these days! God has been known to withdraw His blessings from a nation with which He is displeased. For more on the details as to conditions for blessing and favor as well as withdrawal of the same, see Deuteronomy 28 in the Old Testament scriptures -- that is, if you dare!
"The alien who is among you shall rise higher and higher above you, and you shall come down lower and lower. He shall lend to you, but you shall not lend to him; he shall be the head, and you shall be the tail. Moreover all these curses shall come upon you and pursue and overtake you, until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded you. And they shall be upon you for a sign and a wonder, and on your descendants forever. Because you did not serve the LORD your God with joy and gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things...." --- Deuteronomy 28:43-47